Life has been overwhelmingly busy with fabulous food things, much news to come. However as I put together a quick salad, with each ingredient I added, the idea of writing about it overtook me. Why? Because I realized how having incredible ingredients in the kitchen which are low calorie, very flavorful, and provide an experience in using them makes it easier to eat well. If you’re dieting logically you should be consuming less (logically anyway) so you have more to spend on what might otherwise seem attainable.
Here’s what made this salad so exciting:
- 12 year Saporoso Aged Balsamic Vinegar from House of Balsamic – Not the kind you get at TJs. This is that syrupy, condensed vinegar you can drizzle on your finger to lick.
- Extra Virgin California Olive Oil from Owen’s Creek, rich and accessible with great olive flavor, the kind you can drizzle on a piece of bread with salt and go to heaven.
- Truffle Salt from Susan Rice Truffles, shake and taste.
- An organic apple from the farmer’s market
- Organic spring greens
- Nearly moldy parmesan (Have you read this far? I am of the waste not want not school. 🙂
In 5 minutes I had a $10 salad at a fraction of the cost, full of flavor, without a lot of heavy or artificial dressing.
May this inspire you to eat well and stock your cupboard with the best artisan ingredients! And may this inspire food companies to make more simple good ingredients for us simple gourmands.