Welcome to a place that offers business strategies and stories for makers of those crave-worthy, sustainable food products you seek out in specialty food shops, farmers markets and at farmstands.
The FoodStarter blog is brought to you by Susie Wyshak, speaker, coach and author of Good Food, Great Business: How to Take Your Artisan Food Idea From Concept to Marketplace (2014, Chronicle Books) and the Chocolate Chip Cookie School (for kids), as well as the Food & Beverage Industry Expert on About.com.
A California native, Susie’s lifelong food-philia has led her some wonderful adventures…
Susie connected the dots to combine her loves of supporting food entrepreneurs and marketing to become Good Food business strategist and personal think tank for food entrepreneurs. Based in Oakland, California, Susie sourced artisan food for several online marketplaces (like Foodzie), planned (and scrapped) her own snack-food business, co-chaired the Good Food Awards Confections committee, kicked off the U.S. Fair Trade cocoa program early on, and wrote her MBA thesis on Consumer Attitudes Toward Giving Chocolate as a Gift. A few other highlights:
- Packing hundreds of chocolate boxes at a family-run candy store / factory (when the only day she got to skip high school was to see Julia Child.)
- Helping Copia as a culinary docent at (where she and Julia Child again crossed paths) and volunteer at SF’s 18 Reasons
- Hawking for various food producers at farmers markets
- Hosting local homemade food barter exchanges
- Co-founding Epicuring.com, a culinary travel blog for California and beyond
- Relentlessly spotting trends at industry and consumer food and agricultural fairs around the world
The big picture
Susie’s life experiences led her to develop a decision-making framework that, at the core, is all about living in flow, talking to strangers and following up. : GO DO –> Goals, Options, Decide, Own it.
That’s how “connecting the dots” happens. The beginnings of this framework are laid out in Good Food, Great Business. Shall we collaborate on this?
Life begins by talking to strangers. Let’s talk!